Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Waiting

I am at a loss. In the past 48 hours, the Room In The Inn community has lost three people. One died of a chronic medical condition, one was struck by a car downtown, and I'm not sure what happened to the third. As we were mourning these losses, I found out about the shootings in California.
I don't understand. Both in my work and in my personal life, I know so many people who are exceptionally good---not just "nice" people, but people who pour out their hearts and energies to care for others. These are people who are desperately trying to make God's kingdom a reality. They are flooding the darkness with their light.
But today, my heart hurts. Today, it seems as though the darkness has the upper hand.
I believe with all my heart that love wins in the end. The struggle is holding on to hope and trusting in the power of redemption.
Maybe it's fitting that it is the season of Advent, the time of waiting. May we have the grace and strength to persevere until our hope is fully realized.

by Mary Wilder

No comments: